Skip to main content

October 2 “REMEMBER!”

Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise. Apply your heart to what is being taught, for it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have all of them ready on your lips. So that your trust may be in the Lord. ~Proverbs 22:17:19


How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word. I seek You with all my heart. Do not let me stray from Your Commands. I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You. Praise be to You, O Lord. Teach me Your decrees. With my lips I recall all the laws that come from Your mouth. I rejoice in following Your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in Your decrees. I will not neglect Your Word. ~Psalm 119:9-16

Question: How much Bible knowledge is stored in your heart that you could depend upon if all the Bibles were confiscated and none could be found any more? How would you do? We are so surrounded by God’s Word. It’s on our phones and computers. We probably all have multiple versions all over our houses. I know that we do in my house. We have kids Bibles, Bible story books, translations, and interpretations such as, “The Message.” And even though our home is, “the pastor’s home,” I don’t think that your access to God’s word looks too different.

How wonderfully blessed to be living in the age after the printing press was invented. Solomon, however, for all his wisdom, lived before the printing press, way before the printing press. So, because he was king, he may have had a copy of the Tora (the first five books). But probably, the only copies that were really available, existed in the temple, under the guard of the priests.

To be true, we’re not even sure how well they did at keeping track of copies of God’s Word, since there is an account in 2 Kings of them actually finding a copy in the temple at one point implying that it was actually lost and the priests weren’t even aware of that glaring oversight. (2 Kings 22), but I digress. The fact is, like most of our brothers and sisters around the world, and most of the early church, if you wanted to be able to recall what God had to say on any given matter, the only way to have God’s Word was to memorize it as it was taught to you.

“Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise. Apply your heart to what is being taught.” I see a master teacher, seated before his students who are standing, waiting to repeat what the master teacher says. Line by line, he instructs them. Line by line they repeat until it is imbedded in their memories. Only after they can recite it are they able to think about it and understand its meaning. The memorization must come first so that it is always with them to contemplate.

“For it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have all of them ready on your lips, so that your trust may be in the Lord.” First memorize, then contemplate, then understand. That is how the result of memorization is a fuller trust in the Lord. You have digested what you have eaten and it has produced the nourishment needed for health.

“I seek You with all my heart. Do not let me stray from Your Commands. I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You.” When God’s Word is memorized, it can be recalled. When it is recalled, the understanding is recalled with it and then we remember the “why” we need to resist a temptation and are held more securely from straying from the commands we know that we know.

A day may come when the ubiquitous Word that we are so familiar with in our culture may be no more, but what you have hidden in your heart can never be taken away. It could be a very interesting exercise to write out your “version” of the Bible. How long would it take you to write in your own words everything you can remember about the Bible from Genesis to Revelation? That one, the one that’s really in your heart, is the one you are living by.

Prayer: Father Your word is precious and gives me life, just like oxygen, or food. They are so much all around me that I can easily take them for granted. But only what goes in me actually sustains my life. So, let me take them, and especially take Your word, very seriously and with much gratitude! In Jesus’ name, amen.

Song: Thy Word




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil