Skip to main content

February 5 The Ant Makes Me Say Uncle!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.  How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. ~Proverbs 6:6-11

He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need. ~Ephesians 4:28

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. ~1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Oh boy, first of all we have to get over being addressed as a sluggard. So, I took the time to learn a little bit about ants and, well, let’s see what you think. First of all, ants can carry between ten and fifty times their own weight. Do the math. I don’t think I’m capable of carrying between 1 to 5 tons of weight, so, I guess they have me there.

Second, ants are work machines! Notice that a few days back I referred to mole hills? There’s a reason we don’t say, “Don’t make a mountain out of an ant hill.” Given time, the ants will make a little mountain just by keeping busy! Well, I do like my rest, so maybe their one up on me again.

Third, God has designed the whole ant body as an amazing example of efficiency. They can’t hear or breathe like we do but they stay aware of their surroundings. They farm and store, they even  have two stomachs so that they can digest some and save the rest for later. I can’t do that. That’s what fridges are for. Right?

Fourth, one of the reasons ants can accomplish so much is because of community. They work well together! And each one works for the benefit of the whole community. The whole colony works as unified as a body, with each ant as a member. That sounds kind of like God’s idea of church!

Okay, so, I still think sluggard is a little harsh, but he does have a good point. Do I stay on task, on mission as well as I should? Solomon keeps coming back to this theme often, doesn’t he? Remember, he’s probably speaking mostly to younger listeners. You get that from his constant reference to, “my son.” Well, when you think of it that way, it makes sense.

I wonder why we’re not naturally born to be willing workers. Well, it’s that sinful nature again. You know, even in the Garden of Eden, man was expected to work. It isn’t the work that is a curse, it is that the work became burdensome, that is the curse. That’s why I don’t think we’ll just be floating around on clouds in heaven. There will be tasks for us to do, especially heart felt worship, which I’m really looking forward too. It won’t be burdensome at all, but a joy to praise God, hours on end for all He is to us and all He has done.

But for now, we’re here. Work can be hard, whether it’s the work we do to provide for our families or smooth out relationships. Work can be hard, but perhaps, as a Christian, you can think of the hard tasks in this way: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.” (Co. 3:23-24) That lifts the curse that was placed on Man in the Garden and lightens the burden.

Remember too, it is good to provide. It is good to do what you can to benefit others. When we can see all we do as Kingdom work, even if it is storing up what we need for the future, providing that it is in balance with our serving and giving, even our work here on earth now, can become an act of worship and praise to God. Isn’t that awesome! That turns the world’s thinking on its head once again. The world says, “I work to pay the bills. I pay the bills to keep a roof over my head and food in the fridge so that I can stay healthy and get enough rest so I can go back to work! What’s the point?”

God says, “The point is, build character and glorify the Lord so you bless the world and you’re fit for heaven.” That can remove the burden and drudgery so that work can become the blessing it was meant to be in your life. Praise the Lord! 
 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Tons of stuff! I’m glad I went to the ant! I’m glad I went to the ant!

Prayer: Thank You Lord for making me a new creature who is blessed to be humble and obedient. I can do all things as unto the Lord. No matter how mundane, or even unpleasant the task may be, I can smile as I remember that I am doing it for You, and that You will be pleased with my love for You. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Song: We Are God’s People

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil