Skip to main content

February 27 Talk is cheap!

The wise in heart accept commands. But a chattering fool comes to ruin. ~Proverbs 10:8

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith. I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. ~James 2:14-20

What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, “Son, go and work today in the vineyard.” “I will not!” he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, “I will sir,” but he did not go. Which of the two did what his father wanted?” “The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you [religious leaders].” ~Matthew 22:28-31

Oooooh, I remember one time, back in Maine, when I got my sons, Matt and Chris to help me act this out. I’ll never forget it. They were seated in separate parts of the congregation. I was going along with my sermon and then I acted as if I had forgotten something and I said, “Hey Matt, could you grab my briefcase out of my office and bring it to me?” Matt loved it. He stood up and in as loud of a voice as he could he yelled, “NO!” That shocked the congregation. So, I turned to Chris and said, “Hey, will you go get it for me?” He stood up and said, “Sure, Dad,” and promptly sat down. Well, I acted a little stuck. I mean, I was in the middle of a sermon, so I just kept going. Meanwhile, Matt quietly left the sanctuary and was seen, a few minutes later walking up the aisle and quietly placing the briefcase beside my pulpit.

Just a little side note, I told you a while back about an elderly lady, Mildred, who hadn’t learned to read until in her 60s. Anyway, she confessed to us later how shocked she was at our sons’ behavior, but she really got the point of the sermon that day by seeing it acted out. She told me later, “When I heard Matthew be so defiant, I almost ran to your office myself to look for it just to help.” I had to tell her that I was glad she didn’t, because I wouldn’t have quite known how to cover that point.

Jesus’ point was to let everybody know that in His judgment the religious leaders were like the chattering fools of Solomon’s Proverb. Their hearts did not accept the command of God to listen to Jesus. Meanwhile, tax collectors and sinners were wisely listening to Jesus and changing their minds about their lives! And what about our lives today? Some people observe that unbelievers often seem to be more generous and charitable than Christians, who keep to themselves in church.

Our proverb today isn’t the same as the neighbor we talked about a while back who promises too much, puts too much on his plate and then is overwhelmed. That person at least wants to help and be useful and has just taken on too much.  In this case we are dealing with a person who is all talk and has no clue, and in the end, he is the only one who listens to himself, because everybody else has figured out that all he is all talk and no action.

The musical “The Music Man,” comes to mind. A con man comes into town selling band uniforms and musical instruments, promising to give the boys in town something more wholesome to do by creating a band, rather than shoot pool all day. He has this “thinkology,” system that he promises will work if the kids just think hard enough about how to play their instruments. Of course, his plan was to get the money and run, but that’s not quite how things worked out. Not all talkers are cons, but the story illustrates pretty well, how someone who is all talk will eventually come to ruin if he doesn’t wise up.

Solomon says instead: “The wise in heart accept commands,” in other words, they listen and obey the one over them. They are not all talk, they are action. In so doing, they are not only shown to be trustworthy, but they are demonstrating their faith.

In the passage from James above, James is pretty much saying the same as Solomon. “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, (as a chattering fool would), “go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, (the wise person knows), faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” The wise one knows, that we earn the right to speak through our love in action. Isn’t it amazing how this keeps being repeated? It must be very important!

Prayer: Lord, bless me today with opportunity to act on what needs I hear of, so that I am a doer of the word, all action to please You Father, and less talk, except to bless and pray and praise you Father. In Jesus' name, amen.

Song:
 Does Anybody Hear Her?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil