Skip to main content

November 3 Focus

Wise men store up knowledge, But the mouth of a fool invites ruin. ~Proverbs 1014


I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You. Praise be to You, O Lord. Teach me Your decrees. ~Psalm 119-10-12

I’ve heard it said that the mind never really forgets anything. Everything you’ve ever learned or done is stored up in there, somewhere. Memory is really the ability torecallwhat’s up there. It’s there, you just have to know how to get to it. Okay, true confession, most of you know that organization isn’t my strong suit. In fact, when I was younger, I used to imagine my mind as a filing cabinet that had been overturned. I would imagine all the drawers spilled on the floor and a gust of wind, fluttering the pages about. Trust me, I have improved a great deal over the years, though, admittedly, I am still guilty of a messy desk from time to time. Well, perhaps a little more than that.

Perhaps your mind is really organized. All of your files are in place, your drawers are not stuck shut, and you are very familiar with your recall system so that you can find anything you need at a moment’s notice. Good for you! The question today is, what are you storing up in there? Solomon says that, “The wise man stores up knowledge.” Are you storing up what you truly need, or is there a lot of trivia?

There is so much information available to us today. We truly live in a blessed age. We can learn so much. Our interests can go in so many different directions. We aren’t limited, so it seems, by anything. We can learn about the ocean even if we are in the middle of Fly Over country. We can learn about history, the future, space, there is just so much to entertain the curious. I have lots of interests so I’m really grateful that information is so readily available.

However, it is up to me to sort through it and divide the trivia from the important, weightier matters in life. It’s easy to spend lots of time on trivia. Trivia is fun, sometimes fascinating and interesting to learn. It’s readily accessible and often entertaining as well. Weightier matter, such as God’s Word, doesn’t come as easily to many. It can be hard work to gain understanding.

Memorizing can be even more challenging than studying. It takes time and effort and practice. Yet, when the Psalmist says that he hides God’s Word in his heart, that’s exactly what he is doing, working hard at learning how to recall it because, he has learned that it is by internalizing God’s Word, that he is prevented from sin.

I don’t know if I could say that about trivia. Trivia can be interesting, but probably very few of the trivial nuggets that I come across will have much of an effect on my behavior. It’s a nice diversion, but it can be clutter if it keeps me from God’s Word. “Trivial Pursuit” is a game. Bible study is not a trivial pursuit. It is life changing. “The mouth of a fool invites ruin.” A fool may think he is wise because of all that he knows, but if all that he knows is trivia, he lacks the guidance to live wisely. That’s how it is his ruin. It’s not enough to know stuff. It’s important to know what is worth knowing.

“Praise be to You, O Lord. Teach me Your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from Your mouth. I rejoice in following Your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on Your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in Your decrees. I will not neglect Your Word.” (Psalm 119:12-16)

Blessed is the one who focuses on what God wants us to know, whose mind is full of wisdom and who has removed the clutter to another, less prominent place. That person will be able to recall God’s wisdom easily and be enabled to walk before Him in integrity and truth.

Prayer: Lord God and heavenly Father, help me focus in You and Your Word as the most important thing in life! Help me memorize more, and more and internalize your wisdom for my guidance and safety. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Song: Your Words 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil