Skip to main content

March 11 Praises in the Storm

When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever. ~Proverbs 10:25

A little while and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, you will not find them. But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace. ~Psalm 37:10-11

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. ~Matthew 5:5

When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God. Then I understood their final destiny. Surely You place them on slippery ground. You cast them down to ruin. How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors! As a dream when one awakes, so when You arise, O Lord, You will despise them as fantasies.” ~Psalm 73: 17-19

What a comfort these thoughts are. I know that yesterday, we talked about how we are all sinners and those who accept Christ are saved by grace, but we must acknowledge that there are those who refuse to listen. We do live in discouraging times. It has been that way since Adam, but today, with 24-7 news feeds and social media, our awareness of the evil that surrounds us can seem, at times, inescapable. The word “sanctuary,” becomes so much more meaningful, as one of the only places where we can find peace.

Storms, storms are powerful things. There are sudden tornados, there are more predictable but long-lasting hurricanes, and cyclones. They are all powerful, many are damaging, but have you noticed that afterwards, there is peace?

Storms in our lives can be powerful too, and frightening and uncomfortable. God uses those storms to remove the evil from us and bring us His peace. The comfort is that while in the physical world, storms seem indiscriminate, destroying everything in their path, our heavenly Father uses the storms in our lives to accomplish His purpose. When the storm has passed, we will stand because we are on His rock-solid foundation, but the evil within us will be dealt with, when we let it be blown away.

This one is hard for me. I’d like to find a personal example, but nothing is coming to mind. Oh, it’s not that I haven’t experienced lots of storms. It’s just that, for now, I can’t remember one that I’m glad I went through because I was better in the end and I saw that the wicked were swept away. I can’t remember experiencing that. I mostly remember moving along, accepting the situation and making the best of the circumstances.

The story of Job takes 42 chapters. It is not until chapter 42 that the storm passes, and Job is vindicated in front of his “friends,” who are instructed by God to ask righteous Job to pray for them so their sins may be forgiven. Up to chapter 42, Job just did the best he could to hang on to faith and hope, with no end of suffering in sight. Here is what I am getting at. In a way, since I have not yet seen the true peace after the storms of life, maybe I am only up to chapter 25 or 33 in my story, with no end of suffering in sight. But by faith in God’s Word, and by Job’s example, I know there lies before me that day when all the clouds will really, finally clear away and I will begin to really enjoy that eternal shalom, with no enemies in sight, none left to trouble me. Oh, how I long for that day to come now! But until then, I will take comfort in God’s promise that it WILL come.


Prayer: Father help me to trust and believe in You, that You make all things right in the end and everything in between is working out for my good because you are so perfect and glorious! In Jesus’ name, amen. 


Song: I’ll Praise You In The Storm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil