Skip to main content

January 15 Sometimes Hidden


By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding He set the heavens in place. By His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. ~Proverbs 3:19-20

Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm. “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundations? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone—while the morning stars sang together, and all the angels shouted for joy? Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, “This far you may come, and no further; here is where your proud waves halt.”” ~Job 38:1, 4-11.

Then Job replied to the Lord: “I know that You can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, “Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?” Surely, I spoke of things I do not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said, “Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.” My ears had heard of You but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore, I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.” ~Job 42:1-6

Now there is a wise man! That wisdom was bought at a high price, one that I don’t think I’d necessarily want to pay, but Job definitely demonstrates here that he learned his lesson. I find it fascinating that we live in an age in which the people who are supposed to be the wisest among us try to explain everything in a way that does not include God as the creator. Hearing explanations for life that range from accidents to aliens, anything but a wise creator, just amaze me.

In my own personal testimony, it was the fact that all the claims made about evolution just didn’t add up. I finally felt that I had learned enough science to see that science couldn’t really explain how this beautiful, complex, universe could possibly be an accident without a designer. Science couldn’t really explain how things started and barely explains how things work. That caused me to begin believing in a creator and, eventually seek Him out. You can imagine my thrill when I learned that the amazing creator wanted a personal relationship with me!

The Psalmist, David says: “The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” (Both Psalms 14 & 53:1) Job at least acknowledged that there was a creator, but he thought more along the lines that God was more of a super-human that could be argued with. In the end, he stated the truth, gained from the wisdom he had obtained from what he experienced. God not only has wisdom, He is wisdom. He cannot be parted from it. He designed everything by His wisdom, giving everything, including us, the pinnacle of His creation, purpose.

We all want to have purposeful lives. Often, our purpose is hidden from us as we experience the winding roads of life that seem to lead to nowhere. Trust God that even those winding roads are helping to grow wisdom and purpose. The hardest task may be to keep moving forward. God, however, knows what He’s doing and knows why He allows hard experiences to touch our lives. He never explained to Job the reasons for all he went through. But Job was finally able to accept the fact that God knew what He was doing and could be trusted. That may be our story as well. But I do believe that if not now, then in eternity, we will have our answers, if it still matters that we know.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that, because of You, I can be sure that my life does have purpose and significance. Even if I don't quite know exactly what they are, it's a reality because You create with purpose and everything you make has significance! It's good to be alive. It's great to know You! In Jesus' name, amen.

Song: Haven't Seen it Yet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil