Skip to main content

August 12 It’s Good for You

If you get wisdom you love your own soul. Cherishing understanding will prosper you. ~Proverbs 19:8 


Oh, how I love Your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on Your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey Your precepts. I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey Your Word. I have not departed from Your laws, for You Yourself have taught me. How sweet are Your Words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts. Therefore, I hate every wrong path. ~Psalm 119:97-104 

It’s my understanding that one of the best inhibiters to developing dementia, besides diet and exercise of course, is to keep learning. Our brain is like a muscle in that it can atrophy just like the rest of our body when it is not used. We like settling in the ruts of routine, but to stay healthy, we must continue challenging ourselves both physically and mentally. 

“Oh, how I love Your law!” Here is someone who wants to stay healthy in Christ. “I meditate on it all day long.” This person is not content with just reading it through once and thinking that he knows all there is to know. He can’t get enough of studying and thinking about God’s law and all the blessings it brings. He reports that, through studying God’s law, he has gained the wisdom needed to overcome his enemies. He reports having better insights than his teachers, and better understanding than his elders because the law is not just a book to him, it is like his daily food. 

“How sweet are Your Words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” He sees the payoff of all his discipline: living a pure life because he was taught that from God’s law. “If you get wisdom you love your own soul.” Certainly, this Psalmist loves his soul. In fact, almost all of Psalm 119 sounds like an infomercial for the benefits of taking in God’s law. It is nourishing and worth the time. It almost sounds like the latest super food that will make everything right. Only, God’s Word is not a new super food, it has been around since eternity. 

Unfortunately, too many treat it like okra. Okay, I had to pick a vegetable that isn’t very popular to try to make the point. In truth we like vegetables, but the point is that most people do not enjoy being in God’s Word to appreciate or even learn of all its benefits. The Biblical illiteracy rate is so high in the pews today. Sadly, as with a healthy diet, there is so much they are missing. It would be appropriate to say that we have a mal-nourished church in America today, but it is by choice. 

“Cherishing understanding will prosper you.” “I gain understanding from your precepts. Therefore, I hate every wrong path.” It is good to seek to understand. Understanding takes the robotic obedience out of the law and brings the desire to follow it because we understand that His way is the one and only way. This too is good for us. We do best, or prosper, when we follow His directions. Just as when we do best by eating right. 

A word of caution here, I am not talking about legalism. Legalism if following the rules to earn points, or salvation. There are many examples of good habits that are regularly practiced, even insisted upon, and yet are not called “legalism” because they are just evidently good for you, such as brushing your teeth. When you love God’s law because you love the law giver and you understand that what He has designed really is for your best, then you are not trying to gain favor but to live a life of blessing for His glory. You are not interested in earning, but in becoming all you can be so that everyone will see that His ways are the best ways and give Him praise. Knowing that we are doing our best for Him is the best nourishment our soul can receive. 

Prayer: Father, hear my more honest and confessional prayer. Oh, how I should love Your law! I ought to meditate on it all day long. Your commands will make me wiser than my enemies, if I keep them with me always. I would have more insight than all my teachers, if I would meditate on Your statutes. I would have more understanding than the elders, if I were to obey Your precepts. I wish I had, and I want to, keep my feet from every evil path so that I might obey Your Word. I have tried to not depart from Your laws, for You Yourself have taught me. I thank You for how much I have loved and kept your law to this point. How sweet are Your Words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts. Therefore, I will learn to hate every wrong path. Help me Jesus, for I pray this in Your name, amen.

Song: Life Song 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil