Skip to main content

April 21 Kind Words Lift


An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. ~Proverbs 12:25

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. ~2 Peter 5:6-7

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. ~Psalm 139:23-24

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:6-7

Praise be to the Lord, to God our savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves. From the sovereign Lord comes escape from death. ~Psalm 68:19-20

I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his or her life? ~Matthew 6:25-27

We’re told all the time not to worry, not to be anxious, but it’s a hard habit to kick. We’re told that worry and anxiety aren’t good for us. It can ruin our health, but for some of us, it’s a real struggle. It can raise blood pressure and cholesterol and while it is a sister to depression it is recognized as its own medical diagnosis. Far from adding a single hour to life, worry subtracts!

In truth, I’m one of those fortunate ones who doesn’t have a lot of trouble in this area. I don’t get bothered by much, not very often anyway, and can keep moving forward. I believe that I am this way, partly due to my trust in the Lord, but also, have to admit, it has to do with how I’m wired.

Kathy, however, is wired differently. I know that she trusts in the Lord as much as I do, but she also remembers details and has more questions. She responds differently emotionally to circumstances and in truth, wiring does play a part. I’ve watched her really work hard to overcome having an anxious heart. It can be done, but it isn’t easy.

An anxious heart really can weigh a person down. A kind word, however, can cheer a person up. It may not happen immediately, but kind words do help. Consider Jesus’ kind words to His listeners as he talks with them. He assures them of their value to God, and His constant presence and care. “Are you not much more valuable than they?” referring to the birds. His words were meant to relieve His listeners of the burden that weighed them down through worry.

Throughout the Psalms, we read prayers and songs in which the Psalmist works hard to cast his anxieties on the Lord. Anxiety is a burden that God did not intend for us to carry. When Jesus tells us to trade our yoke for His in Matthew 11:28-30, much of what He is offering to carry is our worry. “Praise be to the Lord, to God our savior, who daily bears our burdens.”

The writer of Psalm 139 goes even further: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.” He knows he is prone to worry, so he wants his thought life to be an open book before the Lord, asking the Lord to address those thoughts. If they are offensive, help him deal with them so that he can be free to walk in God’s way, “the way everlasting.”

So far, we are talking about those of us who know the Lord. We may have some anxiety, but we know where to turn to help us. My heart goes out to those around us who don’t know and are experiencing this as a very anxious time indeed. It’s hard to escape news about the latest developments with the advance of the virus.

Do you remember the scene in the movie, “The Ten commandments,” with the angel of death advancing on the Egyptians? I have to think there are those who are experiencing the virus in that way. They may fear that it’s just a matter of time before they will get it too. They are wrestling with issues like death and health, fearing that they only have themselves to lean on.

Some of the hoarding that we’ve seen is a response to fear, knowing that if it’s up to them to stay safe, they need to be well protected. I heard one expert say recently that it is their way of trying to regain a little control over a situation in which they feel they have no control. How sad. I have to think that God is sad too, seeing such frantic behavior and longing they would reach out to Him.

We have the kind words that can cheer them if we have opportunity. This may be an opportunity to share like never before. Does my mentioning that make you anxious? Cast any fear of sharing on Jesus and let Him carry the burden. Consider Paul’s words: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Remember, we worked on memorizing that passage last Fall, and it is so true!

Freely share the good news with those who need to hear so that they can learn to cast their cares on Him as well. He longs to carry them and change the anxious heart that is weighing them down, into a cheerful one with the help of His kind words, and yours.

Prayer: 
Search me, God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Thank You Lord for your kind words of mercy and grace. I know I am forgiven. I know I am loved by You, oh Lord. And since I know You love everyone just the same, I have kind words from your gospel to share with other anxious souls. Use me Lord, to comfort the lost and lead them home. In Jesus' name, amen.

Song: Cares Chorus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil