Skip to main content

Jesus Our Peace


Philemon

Don’t you just love all the Hallmark Christmas movies with their happy endings of peaceful reconciliation between estranged family embers? Scrooge gets redeemed. He goes to his nephew’s dinner party after all and apologizes so sweetly for years of venom. In other movies the estranged son comes home and hugs the dad he fought with all his life. Or, the angry dad comes to church and gives his heart to the Lord. We love those stories because that is the way life is supposed to be. We love reconciliation and restoration that brings peace to the tension filled family. All these stories are just illustrations of the biggest reconciliation of all, between God and humankind. And it’s beautiful! 

The letter from Paul to Philemon exists in the Bible to paint that same kind picture for us. But before I actually read this letter, I want to set the scene. That way, instead of reading the letter first and then explaining each part, perhaps you will have the kind of experience that you have when you’re watching a movie. You get to the climax of the story where everything that has happened before all comes together and you say, “Ohhh, so that’s what it is.” 

Actually, this letter is so personal and so connected to a particular story that reading it by itself is like starting to watch a movie at the part where it’s almost over. You have to get caught up on who the characters are and what they have been doing and why they are saying the things you are hearing now that you are there.

So, I’m going to spend a little time getting you caught up. The letter itself gives precious little information about these background details. But what I want to do is provide you with a plausible back story. It’s imaginative. But Jesus taught in parables too. I’m not saying all the details are historically accurate, just that they make good sense of the letter and its message to us. Enough introduction, let’s move to the opening scene.

Scene I.

Pail in prison greets a newcomer. It turns out to be Onesimus!  “What are you doing here, in Rome?!”

“Well, I uh…,” Onesimus starts and stutters. He didn’t expect to see Paul! This was the man who preached what they called the gospel. Whatever the circumstances of Onesimus’ leaving, we see that God had set a divine appointment to bring him together with Paul. There, Paul taught him about true freedom in Christ and convinced the runaway slave that the only right thing to do with his new life in Christ would be to go back to his master, apologize and make things right. 

Scene II.

Philemon at home. “Any news of Onesimus?  I hope we find that scoundrel. This searching is getting expensive, but I am not going to let him get away with this!  Robbing me and then running away!  It’s disgraceful. People will think I must have beaten him like the cruelest of taskmasters.”

Scene III:  The hot sun beats down on the head of Onesimus who walks alone on the dusty road that leads to Philemon’s home. As he passes, a thresher’s hammer falls to the ground and is left there, the handle still in the hand of the man who is staring at Onesimus. An ox carts stops and its driver stares. Even the oxen look to see the reason for this unexpected rest. The various servants stop what they are doing as he passes through the fields. They never thought they’d see this guy again, certainly not this way, walking back to the master and not dragged or carried against his will. One, who was closer to the house, stared for a moment then ran to find Philemon. Another man, carrying a sheaf of wheat, has forgotten to put it down but is running with it. He stops by Onesimus and says, “Onie!  Is that you?  What are you doing here?”

“I’m coming home.”

“But you’re crazy!  You must not know how the master has been going on about you. He’s been searching high and low since you ran away and he’s sure to have your head!”

“Well, then, I guess I shouldn’t have run away. It was wrong.” 

Scene IV: Inside the house, the servant says, “Master, master!  Here comes Onesimus!  He’s by himself and he’s on his way here!”

“What!?  Guards! Go grab him!  Bring him directly to me!  Now I’m going to teach that boy a lesson.”

So, before he gets to the house to make his appeal, he is already held captive and dragged to the house. And there stands Philemon in the doorway.

“You are very bold to come back here like this!  Life must have been very hard for you out there for you to be willing to risk coming back here and thinking that I might let you back into my service. You have shamed me!  All the neighbors think that I must be a terrible master. Because you ran away, they speculate that I must have been cruel to you. I have spent a lot of time and money looking for you too, what a waste! I shall have you flogged! I should have you killed, and I may still do that too! But first I want you to tell me, why have you dared to come back here this way? You know what I have a right to do.”

Now Onesimus speaks, “Sir, I have a letter, from the Apostle Paul.”  And he holds it out. 

Philemon is shocked. Paul has been gone a long time. He was on his way to Rome and that is where he should be by now. Had Onesimus run so far? 1,300 miles?  But how had he found Paul?  And why would Paul write a letter and ask Onesimus to deliver it?  Why would Onesimus, the run-away slave, dare to comply?

Philemon opened the small scroll immediately and read.

This letter is from Paul, a prisoner for preaching the Good News about Christ Jesus, and from our brother Timothy. I am writing to Philemon, our beloved co-worker,  and to our sister Apphia, and to our fellow soldier Archippus, and to the church that meets in your house.

 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. I always thank my God when I pray for you, Philemon, because I keep hearing about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God’s people. And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ. Your love has given me much joy and comfort, my brother, for your kindness has often refreshed the hearts of God’s people.

That is why I am boldly asking a favor of you. I could demand it in the name of Christ because it is the right thing for you to do.  But because of our love, I prefer simply to ask you. Consider this as a request from me—Paul, an old man and now also a prisoner for the sake of Christ Jesus.

I appeal to you to show kindness to my child, Onesimus. I became his father in the faith while here in prison. Onesimus hasn’t been of much use to you in the past, but now he is very useful to both of us. I am sending him back to you, and with him comes my own heart.

 I wanted to keep him here with me while I am in these chains for preaching the Good News, and he would have helped me on your behalf. But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent. I wanted you to help because you were willing, not because you were forced. It seems you lost Onesimus for a little while so that you could have him back forever. He is no longer like a slave to you. He is more than a slave, for he is a beloved brother, especially to me. Now he will mean much more to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

So, if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.  If he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge it to me.  I, PAUL, WRITE THIS WITH MY OWN HAND: I WILL REPAY IT. AND I WON’T MENTION THAT YOU OWE ME YOUR VERY SOUL!

Yes, my brother, please do me this favor for the Lord’s sake. Give me this encouragement in Christ. I am confident as I write this letter that you will do what I ask and even more! One more thing—please prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that God will answer your prayers and let me return to you soon.

 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings.  So, do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my co-workers. May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

At several points while reading, Onesimus looked up from the letter and stared at Onesimus. Now he is useful?  He has become more than a slave, a brother?  I should welcome him in the way that I would welcome Paul? Emotions churned. Paul’s letter certainly requested a lot! And it went right against what Philemon had been feeling. But it began to take effect anyway.

Philemon said, “Take him to quarters. Give him food, water and clean clothes. I must think.” Paul was asking Philemon to do a very hard thing. What would the other slaves think? If their master forgives Onesimus, and even sets him free, what will happen if they run away too? Can they win their freedom in the same way?

A few hours later, after dinner, Philemon summoned Onesimus. “Why did you run away?”

Sir, back when Paul was here, he spoke of freedom. I even heard him say, “Are you a slave? Don’t let that worry you—but if you get a chance to be free, take it.” And I knew you respected him and that many things had changed because he came. But I didn’t really understand. All I knew then was that I didn’t like being a slave.

So, I asked you to set me free. Because freedom is supposed to be a good thing and Philemon, you were was supposed to be a good man. So, I thought you would understand me. And I was angry when you tried to explain what Paul was really talking about. So, I just latched on to what Paul had said, made a plan, and secured some provisions. That’s why I stole some things. Then, when I saw my chance to slip away unnoticed, I took it, just like Paul said, or so I thought!

Freedom felt very good, but only for a little while. Soon I was hungry and had no place to sleep at night. I couldn’t get paid to do anything, nobody hired me. Things weren’t going as I had thought. In my desperation I began stealing food from other people, just to eat. But I got caught and throw into prison. That’s where I met Paul. This was the man who had spoken of freedom in Christ, but he was not free! He was a prisoner too. And yet, he was happy and glad to see me. He called me friend and began to tell me more about Jesus.

Now sir, I have become a believer and I follow Jesus’ teachings. I have learned that true freedom comes when we believe and know that we are forgiven of our sins because of what Jesus has done for us on the cross. I will never be condemned for any of my crimes. Even if you kill me as you have a right to do, I know that I will only go to heaven and live forever after all! And so, I am no longer a slave to sin and I am not trapped in any fear of death. I am totally free to do what is right, and please God by living according to his will. And if you do let me live, as Paul asks of you, I will have a chance to prove how much I have changed, and I will serve you well, as faithfully as an obedient son. So, since I have come back to show my repentance, can you forgive me, and give me a life to live, and provide for me as I work for you?

Now Philemon spoke, “Yes, I was angry, and if you had come back without this letter from Paul, I am afraid I would have done to you everything that was in my angry heart. Because it was my legal right, I could have used my rights to vent my anger as I judged you unworthy of life. But I see that Paul is more than legally right, much more right, as usual. I read it three or four more times you know. And now I am also free, free to forgive you.

So, if you want to become truly useful to me, you must help all my other servants understand why it would not be good for them to run away, for otherwise they might try to follow your bad example because it turned out well if they don’t understand why I forgive you. And you can help them realize that they are free in Christ, but still not free to do just whatever they feel like, and neither am I. I am not a hard taskmaster, but a considerate employer required to care for them like family. My son, welcome home.”

You know, it’s a beautiful story, but we still might wonder why this book is in the Bible. It’s just a personal note with regard to a very specific problem. There is no grand theological teaching. Other letters, such as Galatians and Colossians were written specifically to answer questions raised in the new churches. And letters like 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus were written to instruct young pastors about how to run the churches. But Philemon is about Paul’s effort to solve a problem on behalf of a runaway slave.

Paul’s letter to Philemon serves as a model of Christian compassion. In many ways it parallels Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son, which captures the gospel in a nutshell. The letter speaks of failure, the need for intercession, returning, forgiveness, and restoration. We learn that getting relationships right is just as important as getting doctrine straight. If we are genuine disciples of Christ, we will relate to our fellow believers with grace, forgiveness and encouragement.

Some people believe that Christianity only needs to change what we believe. This letter makes it clear that it also needs to change how we treat other people. Philemon helps us put every controversy or argument we might have with each other into a framework of right relationships based on love, forgiveness and peacemaking.

We must remember that for every conflict, no matter which side of the issue is the correct side to take, all parties involved are sinners. The sinful nature in each of us makes it hard for us to see and do what is really right. It makes it easy for us to fight hard for what we believe is right even if it hurts the other person. Satan tries to use every conflict to split the church. We try to counter that tendency by avoiding or burying conflict. But that just splits the church internally where bitterness and resentment can fester until it finally does break out and things are worse than what they could have been.

Instead, let us strive to embody the love of Christ for one another within our considerations of difficult issues. This is only possible when we make peace with God by believing the gospel and allowing the Word of God to change us into more Christ like images of God. Then we can share the peace of Christ and promote the unity of the Spirit. Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart this Christmas and as a result may you experience many hallmark moments, joyful reconciliations that mark us out as the people of God, the peace makers of the world.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil