Skip to main content

306. The Seventh Word

Key Verse: "Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit."
Psalm 31:5A & Luke 23:46B

Again, Jesus quotes a Psalm from His ancestor David to give more depth to His words than what appears on the surface. All of the Psalms that are referred to, (22, 69, 31), from the cross, appear to have been composed during the period of David's life when he was being pursued by King Saul. David's victory over Saul had not yet been obtained. God was continually showing Himself to David by delivering him from his enemies, but David was not experiencing peace. He knew that he was totally dependent upon God for wisdom and strength to meet another day.

Reference to these Psalms enhances our understanding of what our Lord endured for our sake. Tomorrow, we will devote an entire devotion to examining Psalm 22 because it depicts so clearly so much of the physical suffering our Lord endured in the crucifixion. Today, Jesus refers to Psalm 31, which allows us to see more clearly the mental anguish, rather than the physical, that our Lord experienced.

"Be merciful to Me, O Lord, for I am in distress; My eyes grow weak with sorrow, My soul and my body with grief." (Psalm 31:9) Jesus was in great sorrow as He hung on the cross. He had been betrayed and abandoned by those He had lived with and poured Himself into and now poured himself out for. He was sorrowful that sin had made such a mess of what He had wanted to have been so beautiful. When this world was made, and the garden created, it had not been created for this hideous ugliness.

"Because of all My enemies I am the utter contempt of my neighbors; I am a dread to My friends.  Those who see Me on the street flee from Me. I am forgotten by them as though I were dead; I have become like broken pottery. For I hear the slander of many; there is terror on every side; they conspire against Me and plot to take My life." (Psalm 31:11-13) We've already experienced the mocking and ridicule of those around Him. It was a horrible day.

Yet, as David before, Jesus says: "I trust in You, O Lord; I say, "You are My God." (Psalm 31:14) Then, Jesus does what David could not do. He gives up His spirit to God. Many of us learned a bedtime prayer that goes, "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep." I learned a little while ago, that Jewish children learn a bedtime prayer too. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." How perfect, that in that child's prayer, based on Psalm 31:5, Jesus speaks of complete trust in God, as in child like faith. And at the same time, demonstrates his own complete control over this situation. And the Jews who heard it, would all have marveled that he chose to say that prayer, in that moment.

The body is done with its suffering. Jesus, in total control, as always, now departs this wretched sacrifice. The price has been paid. The work is done. The enemy has lost and God has won. His life would not ebb away in defeat. He left in triumph to set the captives free. It doesn't look like triumph now, but it is. He chose this moment to depart, knowing that His work, on the cross, was done. He had told His disciples, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. The reason My Father loves Me is that I lay down My life-only to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down," (because I am God), "and authority to take it up again." (John 10:11 & 17-18) He is still in control.

Hymn:  “Man of Sorrows

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

142. White Washed Tombstones!

Isaiah 29:9-16 , Matthew 15:1-20 , Mark 7:1-23 , Key Verse: "Nothing outside a man can make him "unclean," by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him "unclean." Mark 7:15 Approximately six hundred years before Jesus, the people of Judah had sinned so badly by ignoring the word of the Lord that God allowed them to be punished by being destroyed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem was completely ruined. Many of the citizens were killed and only a relatively few, referred to as "the remnant," were carried off to live in Babylon for 70 years before being allowed to return and begin again. This event proved to be a real wake up call for the people. The priests and Levites developed an extensive list of rules and regulations by which the people were to live that would outline very clearly how not to break the Ten Commandments again, or any of the whole Law, or "Torah," from Moses in the first five books of the

Spiritual Warfare

Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-18 Listen Link:  http://www.firstcovenantcadillac.org/#!this-weeks-sermon/c20mw There’s a war on! And it’s not overseas. I am not talking about the war on terrorism. I am talking about the war in which your heart is the battle ground. It is a war between spiritual forces of good and evil. The victory is ours in Christ. The battle belongs to the Lord. But we are called to play our part. That is why Paul instructs believers like you and me to “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”  The life of discipleship gives us no time to relax and live our lives ignoring the spiritual battle. We are ordered to fight. It’s not a pleasant metaphor these days. But Paul had no qualms about telling Christians to be good soldiers, prepared for battle. Even when we do take a Sabbath and rest in the Lord, it is only so that we made ready for the next battle. But this kind of battle won’t wear us out if we are strong in the lord. In fact, we will rejoice! This is not a gr

Advent Devotionals day 3 The Problem of Evil